ROS2 DDS Fast RTPS with Jaime Martin Losa
Today, I would like to dedicate the episode to all those ROS developers that are considering moving into ROS2. I know, we are very comfortable with ROS 1 because we already know how it works, and we have a big base of code created to support our future developments. ROS2 is a little bit more scary, we need to start almost from scratch and construct all that ecosystem for our robot or product once again. I know, but, after all, aren’t we engineers? Aren’t we here to take technological challenges and beat them? Yes we are! So, now it is a good moment to accept the challenge and start with ROS2. For those of you that take the step forward, this episode is dedicated to you.
Today we are going to talk with one of the persons behind Fast-RTPS, you know the default DDS mechanism that Open Robotics ships with ROS2. What is Fast-RTPS? Why is it shipped by default on ROS2? How can we take the most of it? Well, those are the questions that we are going to have answered today.
But before going into that, let me remind you about our ROS online academy. Yes, at the Construct we have created an online academy named The Robot Ignite Academy which contains a ROS learning path for beginners. We start by teaching you Linux and Python for robotics, and we continue teaching you all the basic ROS concepts required to become a master of ROS. We conclude with a course that teaches you how to build your own robot and how to ROSify it, add ROS control to it so you can finally become a ROS Developer.
By the way, have you checked our latest course about how to program web interfaces for ROS robots. That is a course that teaches you how to build web pages that connects to to ROS robots and allows us to present information on the screen and also command the robot. Check it out because it is a very good course pioneer in the world (www.robotigniteacademy.com).
So now, it is my pleasure to introduce you to Jaime Martin Losa. Jaime is the CEO of eProsima the company developing Fast RTPS. He is an expert in middlewares, and as such, he leads also the eProsima OMG membership, and he is the responsible of eProsima contribution to the DDS standards.
Welcome to the podcast Jaime!
- Jaime Martin Losa on LinkedIn
- Katrin Kellner on LinkedIn
- eProsima, the company behing Fast RTPS
- Fast RTPS git full open source code
DDS implementations benchmark rosject containing everything required to reproduce the benchmark (includes full documentation). No need to install anything in your computer.
iRobot performance test dds comparison rosject containing everything required to reproduce the benchmark (includes full documentation). No need to install anything in your computer.
- Micro-ROS, ROS2 on micro controllers, also developed by eProsima
- Fast RTPS Discovery server
Subscribe to the podcast using any of the following methods
Or listen to it on Spotify:
- ROS Developers Podcast on Spotify
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)