[ROS in 5 mins] 013 – What is a ROS Package
Hello ROS Developers!
In today’s video we are going to see what are ROS Packages, see their basic structure and also see how to navigate among them.
For that, we are going to use Robot Ignite Academy, which is available here
But before we start, if you are new to ROS and want to Learn ROS Fast, I recommend you to take any of the following courses on Robot Ignite Academy:
Whether you like the video or not, or if you want to learn about specific ROS subjects, please leave a comment on the comments section below, so we can interact and learn from each other.
Step1. Create a project in Robot Ignite Academy(RIA)
We have the best online ROS course available in RIA. It helps you learn ROS in the easiest way without setting up ROS environment locally. The only thing you need is a browser! Create an account here and start to browse the trial course for free now!
Step2. Create a package
We’ll go to the ROS in 5 Days(C++) course today. Let’s go to 2nd part-ROS Basics and start by creating a package
catkin_create_pkg my_package rospy
With the command, ROS will create a package with the CMakeLists.txt and package.xml files automatically for compiling and building. The package is the basic building block for ROS project. Basically, every ROS application is built with packages. Take the following command as an example
roslaunch turtlebot_teleop keyboard_teleop.launch
Where the turtlebot_teleop is a ROS package and keyboard_teleop.launch is a launch file in this package.
In the RIA, all the packages you’ll need is already installed for you. The only thing you need to do is focus on learning ROS!
Edit by: Tony Huang
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)