Course for Beginners
ROS Basics In 5 Days Python
Learn the fundamentals of ROS to understand and be able to program robots
The ROS BASICS IN 5 DAYS course will take you quickly and smoothly into ROS. You will learn the essential concepts and tools to be able to understand and create any basic ROS related projects.
- Understand key ROS concepts
- Understand and create your own ROS programs
- How to debug your ROS programs
- How to apply theory into real Robotics Challenge and Projects
Who is this for?
- Anyone interested in learning about robotics through practice.
- Beginners who want to quickly learn the fundamental of ROS through practice
Simulation robots used in this course
Husky wheeled robot; TurtleBot wheeled robot; WAM Arm robot; BB-8 robot.
What projects will you be doing?
Mobile robot obstacle avoidance project
By using Subscribers, Publishers, & Messages.
Control the BB-8 robot
Use ROS Services to change the way BB-8 moves.
Control a Drone Robot
Using ROS Actions to move a parrot drone robot.
Win the TurtleBot Race!
Move a Turtlebot 2 robot through the maze and help it finds its way out.
What you will learn
- Practice First: Interacting with a simulated robot
- What you need to become a ROS Developer.
Unit 1: ROS Deconstruction
- How will you learn ROS fast with the 30/70 learning method?
- Know your friends: Robots
- Course Schedule / Syllabus
Unit 2: ROS Basics
- Basic ROS Concepts (ROS packages, launch files, nodes, parameter server, ROS core, environment variables..)
- Create your first ROS program.
Unit 3: Understanding ROS Topics - Publishers
- How to create a Topic_Publisher
- Introduction to Topic Messages
Unit 4: Understanding ROS Topics - Subscribers & Messages
- How to create a Topic_Subscriber
- Create your own custom Topic Message
- QUIZ: Obstacle-Avoiding Robot Quiz (TurtleBot 2)
2hrs. 30 min.
Unit 5: Understanding ROS Services - Clients
How to create a Service_Client
Introduction to Service Messages
Unit 6: Understanding ROS Services - Server
How to create a Service_Server
Create your own custom Service Messages
QUIZ: Control the BB-8 robot using ROS Services
Unit 7: Using Python Classes in ROS
Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming
How to use Python Classes in your ROS programs.
Unit 8: Understanding ROS Actions - Clients
How to create an Action_Client
Introduction to Action Messages
Interact with Actions in a graphical way – Axclien
1hrs. 30 min.
Unit 9: Understanding ROS Actions - Servers
How to create an Action_Server
Build your own custom Action Message
QUIZ: Control a Drone Robot using ROS Actions
2hrs. 30 min.
Unit 10: How to Debug ROS Programs
- Introduction to the main Debugging Tools: Logs, RQT, ROSBag…
Plot your Topic data
3D Visualization of Complex data (RViz)
Unit 11: EXAM - Husky Robot Challenge
Unit 12: PROJECT - Help Sphero Robot Get Out of the Maze
Unit 13: PROJECT - Help TurtleBot Robot Get Out of the Maze
Unit 14: APPENDIX - How to Install ROS On your Local Computer
Unit 15: APPENDIX - How to Create & Manage ROS Workspaces
Ready to get started?
Start learning ROS & Robotics online quickly and easily