In this episode, we talk about how Peter is using ROS to create rescue robots that win robotics contests.
He will explain what are the current limitiations of rescue robots and why they need a human pilot to drive them. He will also explain how they are doing the pilot interface using ROS. Additionally he will explain how his team are connecting the hardware with ROS by means of ROS Serial.
Many more details included about several rescue robotics competitions around the world.
Selected quote from the interview:
90% of the operation in a rescue robot is teleoperated. At present, it is very difficult for a cognitive system to decide whether to go to the right or to the left, in a collapsed building.
[irp posts=”9081″ name=”How To Become a Robotics Developer”]
- Follow Peter Kopias on LinkedIn
- Rescube Robotics
- ICRA 2018 robotics conference
- Pal Robotics company
- Sam Pfeiffer interview at the ROS Developers Podcast. Interview about how to use ROS for the Robocup at Home competition.
- Robocup German Open
- ROS RQT plugins
- Shared autonomy
- Robot videos of the robots of Peter used at the competitions
- Article about the mistake of not using ROS for your robotics company
- Enrich Hackaton: a robotics competition on a real nuclear facility
- World Robot Summit
- ROS Serial
- The IROS 2018 conference
- The ROSCon 2018, the international ROS conference organized by the creators of ROS (OSRF), this year in Madrid, Spain
- The Robot Ignite Academy online academy that teaches you ROS in 5 days
- The ROS Developers Conference online conference (July 7th & 8th 2018)