RDP 013: The Need For Robotics Standards
In this episode I would like to talk about the need that robotics developers have of having a standard for robotics (in terms of API).
By having a robotics standard, developers can concentrate on building solutions that do not have to be re-implemented whenever the robot hardware changes. Actually, given the middleware structure, developers can disassociate so much from the hardware that they can almost rely 100% of its time in the software realm while developing for robotics
Selected quote from the podcast:
In my opinion, ROS is not yet the standard in robotics, but it is becoming the standard. At The Construct we really believe that is going to become the standard.
- My presentation at ROSCON2016 about robot benchmarking
- Some examples of possible standards for robotics: Player, ROS, YARP, OROCOS,Urbi, MIRA or JdE Robot
- Evolution of number of robots using ROS
- The video where Leila Takayama, early developer of ROS, explains when she realized that the key for having ROS used worldwide.
- A brief list of companies using ROS as their base: Robotnik, Fetch Robotics, Savioke, Pal Robotics, Yujin Robots, The Construct, Rapyuta Robotics, Erle Robotics, Shadow Robot or Clearpath
- ROS Components shop
- Hardware ROS.
- ROS Industrial flavour of ROS
- Some companies like Jibo, Aldebaran or Google still do not rely on ROS
- The Robot Ignite Academy online academy that teaches you ROS in 5 days
- The ROS Developers Conference online conference (July 7th & 8th 2018)