RDP 012: Everything about ROS2 with Dirk Thomas
Hi ROS Developers and welcome to the ROS Developers Podcast: the program, the podcast that gives you insights from the experts about how to program your robots with ROS.
In this episode, I talk to Dirk Thomas about ROS2 and some other details about development tools of ROS 1.
He will explain about:
- Why roscd bring us to the devel directory instead of to the compilation directory.
- Why they decided to change from rosbuild to catkin_make
- What can be used ROS buildfarm for
- Why ROS2 is necessary
- How to use the ros1_bridge to connect ROS1 programs with ROS 2 ones
- Some examples of ROS2 applications already working
- What is the ROS2 roadmap
- … and many more things
Selected quote from the interview:
With ROS2, the communication protocol is DDS which allows a completely distributed system. The main advantage is that you don’t have a central instance being the unique point of failure.
- Follow Dirk Thomas on LinkedIn
- ROS2 online course for beginners
- Catkin compilation tool
- ROS buildfarm
- ROS Nodelets in ROS 1
- ROS Discourse (notifications about novelties in ROS)
- ROS answers (the forum for questions and answers about ROS)
- ROS 2 Ardent: first ROS 2 non-beta! (for installation)
- Rviz visualization tools for ROS
- ROS2 to ROS1 bridge (and vice-versa)
- Demonstration of using Cartographer (navigation system) with ROS2 with a Turtlebot
- ROS2 wiki
- ROS2 roadmap
- ROS2 presentation given at the ROSCon2017 by Dirk Thomas and Mikael Arguedas
- The Robot Ignite Academy online academy that teaches you ROS in 5 days